This Beetroot and Orange Salad is so easy it is almost not even worth posting about. Though I will anyway because it is really tasty and healthy. It’s lovely on the day you make it but the flavours develop after a night in the fridge so it’s even better the next day. It would be lovely as a side dish or a part of a mezze dinner but I like it best by the bowlful for breakfast. You can go and cook and cool the beetroot if you’d like if you happen to have nice fresh beetroot though I just bought it cooked and vac-packed which means, for me, there was no cooking at all, just chopping and assembling.
This recipe is such a great on to have for those times you need to lay off the calories. Just throw it together in big batches and eat it for the next few days.
- 1 Kg cooked beetroot
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 oranges
- Juice from another half an orange
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1.5 tsp sea salt flakes
- Half the beetroots, quarter each half and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Skin the 2 oranges with a sharp knife, remove the flesh, interior from each segment and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the juice from another half an orange followed by the vinegar, oil, pepper and salt.
- Toss to combine and serve.