These Buffalo wings are so authentic but really really easy and seem to be a Super Bowl halftime staple from what I see online. So much of the prep can be done hours before serving, even the day before. So if you’re serving them to a lot of people there’ll be no hassle. You’ll need separate the wings beforehand as that was, for me, by far the most time-consuming job. The dip is just assembly and mixing – sinch! And the buffalo sauce can be made a long time ahead too. Just remember to warm it up before tossing the cooked wings in it. This is a recipe that can just as easily be scaled up if you’re feeding large numbers of people with zero extra effort. If you’re doing that, though, I’d probably get wings that are ready to cook.
You will not believe how much these wings taste like the buffalo wings you order out. But it is because the Franks Red Hot sauce is exactly how they are made everywhere! You don’t need to tell your guests that though. Just serve them up like it ain’t no thang and they will think you’re totally badass!
- 2 Kg chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 stick of celery (garnish)
- 0.5 cup of mayonnaise
- 0.5 cup of sour cream
- 0.5 cup crumbled blue cheese, Stilton or Roquefort
- Juice of half a lemon
- 0.5 tsp coarse black pepper
- 0.5 tsp salt
- A pinch of smoked paprika or cayenne pepper (garnish)
- If the wings are not separated, you need to remove and discard the thin tips and separate the winglets from the drumlets.
- Arrange all the wings in a single layer on a baking tray with a wire rack, drizzle with the oil and roast at 200 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes.
- Mix and combine all the Dip ingredients in a bowl, decant into a serving bowl, add a pinch of smoked paprika for garnish and set aside.
- In a pan gently heat the Franks Red Hot Sauce and whisk in the cayenne pepper.
- Gently whisk in the butter, a small knob at a time, mixing each knob in before adding the next.
- Once the wings are done, transfer them to a mixing bowl and toss them in the hot sauce until they are all evenly and generously coated in the sauce.
- Arrange the wings and dip on a serving platter and scatter the chopped celery over the wings.