If this recipe for Spring Chicken Traybake doesn’t sound incredible easy then I haven’t done it justice. It could well be the easiest recipe on this blog and is still really healthy and delicious. There are no tricks, shortcuts or secret ingredients, just loads of delicious green veg, roasted together with potatoes, chicken, herbs, garlic and lemon. It takes no time at all to prepare and is a one-pot dinner that can feed the family. However, as I say in the video below, you might need to add more potatoes. The recipe here serves 3 so scale up the quantities if you’d like. I would add extra trays instead of piling loads more veg onto the one tray because it will cook more evenly and the more shallow the veg layer is, the better it will roast. A thick layer of vegetables will only steam in the oven.
I do find tarragon hard to find so I used dill here as a substitute. They are not similar and shouldn’t be used interchangeably but dill has to be my favourite herb so I use it as much as I can. I know no one will agree with me on this because no one ever has but whenever anything is seasoned with salt, dill and a little olive oil I always get a bizarre buttery taste. Because no one ever knows what I’m talking about when I mention this, I can only assume that dill evokes some memory of a herby butter I must have had as a small child. Either way, this is one recipe where dill does work really well instead of tarragon.
- 200 g purple sprouting/tender stem broccoli
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends removed
- 200 g baby potatoes, halved
- 5 cloves of garlic, bruised
- 1 bunch of tarragon or 1 good bunch of dill
- 1 lemon cut into segments
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea sat flakes
- 6/7 chicken thighs
- 1 small bunch of mint
- 100 g natural yogurt
- Chop the asparagus into chunky pieces and add them to a large roasting tray along with the broccoli, potatoes, garlic, 4 sprigs of tarragon or half your dill finely chopped and half your lemon segments.
- Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil and half a teaspoon of salt and mix so that all the veg is slicked with oil.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the veg, skin side up. Drizzle each thigh with a little oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Roast for 50 minutes at 200 degrees celsius or 180 for a fan oven or gas mark 6.
- Finely chop the rest of the tarragon/dill and the leave from the bunch of mint and mix them with the yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt flakes. Decant into a bowl.
- When the chicken has had its time in the oven, serve at the table with the yogurt dip and the remaining lemon wedges.