This Chilli Garlic Relish is vegan and really delicious and flavoursome. It goes really well with Indian Scrambled Eggs, grilled fish or chicken, Indian flatbreads or popadoms. The recipe calls for Kashmiri chilli powder. I grind my own dried Kashmiri chillies but do not replace the Kashmiri chilli powder for regular chilli powder. That will be too hot. I know grinding your own chillies might be off-putting but you can get a coffee-grinder pretty cheap now and it is definitely worth having for other curries.
It’s also vegan and gluten-free so everyone can enjoy! It will last up to a week in the fridge and can be eaten hot or cold. This chilli garlic relish would also add a real kick to sandwiches.
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chillies powder
- 3 heads of garlic, peeled (100g)
- 75 ml water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Blitz the garlic cloves with the water with an emersion blender or a mini food processor.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the mustard seeds.
- Stir and fry for about 30 seconds until the just start to pop.
- Then turn the heat down to low, add the turmeric and chilli powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic puree and salt, mix well and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until golden and aromatic.
- Decant into a clean bowl and serve.