You won’t believe how easy and delicious this Baba Ganoush is. The best part is it is incredibly healthy! I guess, roasting the aubergine (eggplant) and letting it cool is a little time-consuming and peeling it is a kind of fiddley but you really don’t need any skill level at all. Once the aubergine has been peeled, chopped finely and cooled completely, it’s just a case of combining it with all the other ingredients and mixing it up. Garnish with a few pine nuts – easy, a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds – not so easy, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil – easy! Pomegranates are a little trouble and I resent every TV chef I’ve ever seen deseeding one because they are all involved in the conspiracy that it is an easy job. They all just halve it horizontally (across its equator), hold it over a plate skin-side down and beat the skin side with a wooden spoon, raining seeds over the dish. They make it look easy but it never works. you might get maybe 5% of the seeds that way and they all have little white bits stuck to them. The best way I’ve read is to cut the pomegranate into 4 equal segments, then take each quarter and break it in two with your hands. You can then pop off all the seeds with your fingertips.
I served this baba ganoush with carrot batons and cut up pittas and it was delicious and again, so healthy!
- 1 aubergine
- 1 clove of garlic, finely grated
- 2 tsp tahini paste
- 4 heaped tbsp natural Greek yogurt
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wrap the aubergine in tin foil and roast in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for 30 minutes.
- As it's roasting, combine the garlic, tahini, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Then set aside.
- Take out the aubergine and allow to cool enough to handle. Peel back the tin foil and peel the skin off the aubergine with a knife and fork.
- Cut off the top and discard it with the skin and tinfoil. Shred the aubergine with 2 forks before finely chopping it. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add it to the mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Decant into a serving bowl, sprinkle over the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds, drizzle over the olive oil and serve with flatbreads or carrot batons.