There were a lot of really nice, tempting recipes from this month’s BBC Good Food magazine, but I chose this Chicken and Chorizo Ragu because it just sounded so good and I already had most of the ingredients, which is always a real incentive. The good people at Le Creuset recently replaced my casserole pot when there was minor damage done to the base so I’ll take any excuse to use it. One of the ingredients which I already had was the cooking chorizo. I’ve been buying a spicy one recently that’s made with Iberico pork and sold by a local retailer. Cooking chorizo is not the salami. It’s softer and isn’t cured so it needs cooking. Eating it raw will make you sick. If you can’t find cooking chorizo, you can definitely use the salami. It will be firmer and less juicy in the finished dish but will provide the salty, spicy, bacon flavour the dish needs.
The recipe suggested serving this with some jacket potatoes and sour cream but the “jackets” on my potatoes were so this they started to come off as I was washing them so I just went with roasties, without jackets. Who needs a jacket in this weather anyway?
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 80g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 120g cooking chorizo, chopped
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100ml chicken stock
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat and add the chorizo. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, or until it releases its oil and become charred around the edges.
- Add the onion and stir for another 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and the paprika. Give it a good stir and add your chicken.
- Fry the chicken for 2 minutes on each side before you add the tinned tomatoes and stock.
- Stir everything together then clamp the lid on, turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Then stir it up again and serve at the table with some jacket potatoes or roast potatoes and some sour cream.