This Kimchi Soup recipe is so simple, it is literally just adding all the ingredients to a pot and boiling. While the kimchi soup is quick and easy, you will need to have already made some kimchi which, being honest, is a bit of a process. It is totally worth it though and just the thought of it literally makes my mouth water! You can buy it in Asian supermarkets if you like but I strongly recommend making it yourself. I’ve only tried two types of shop-bought kimchi and neither really had the flavour of homemade. I have a few recipes for different kinds of kimchi over on my Korean page (click here), and plenty more to come so watch this space. My favourite kind, so far, is the classic kimchi, made with napa cabbages but I have a spring onion kimchi fermenting at the moment and the juice tasted incredible before it went into the fridge so I have high hopes for that one.
The best thing about this soup is you can really add whatever you have handy. Kimchi soup obviously does need kimchi and it would benefit from the gochujang and sugar but after that you can add whatever you like. Keep it vegan by leaving out the pork belly and use a vegetarian kimchi.
I should warn you that kimchi smells quite strong and some people really hate the smell. Those people are likely to hate the smell of it cooking even more but know that the kimchi-fermented smell does dissipate after the 30 minutes of boiling.
- 300g kimchi
- 3 tbsp kimchi juice
- 200g pork belly, skin removed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 6 spring onions
- 1.2L cold water
- 400g firm tofu
- Chop the kimchi and tofu into bitesized pieces and add them, with the kimchi juice, to a large pot.
- Slice the garlic and spring onion whites and add them to the pot along with the sugar, gochujang and water.
- Place the pot over a high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, allow to boil for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice the tofu and slice the spring onion greens.
- Once the soup has been boiling for 30 minutes, give it a stir, add the tofu, turn the heat down to low and allow cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions greens and serve.